LAND PURCHASE UPDATES
Land Purchase Committee Members
Albert Hunter Jr.
Rainy River First Nations
Land Purchase Strategy
1) Purchase properties to expand reserve.
2) Identify and place in priority, sacred and cultural sites on former reserve lands.
3) Purchase strategic properties of increasing value or economic gain consistent with economic and business goals.
Rainy River First Nations Crown Selection Lands:
Several band members were employed surveying these lands and the ground work for the survey has been completed. Survey plans are being produced, reviewed, and corrected. After all parties are satisfied the plans will be registered in 2008. The legal and parliamentary process can then take place to transfer the lands from Ontario to the Federal Government then to Rainy River First Nations.
- Hay Bay- Splitrock Bay area on Lake of the Woods is 9,219 acres.
- Gates Ajar area on Pipestone Lake is 719 acres.
- Sphene Lake area north of Rainy Lake is 3,750 acres.
- Crown Land Blocks near Manitou Rapids is 1,289 acres.
- Rainy River Islands at Manitou Rapids and Long Sault is 13 acres.
The actual areas will be deducted from the total Settlement Area of 46,249 acres to leave us with approximately 31,300 acres that can be purchased as part of the Settlement.
- The 40 acre Barsy property was purchased in 2003for $69,500. It has 1320 feet of river frontage just west of the Mounds
- The 734 acre Reimund property was purchased in 2004 for $165,000. It has 230 acres of leased hayfield, 30 acres of marsh and the balance is mixed bush. McGinnis Creek runs through parts of the property.
- The 1,550 acre Funck property was purchased in 2007 for $701,000. It includes 600 acres of leased pasture land and the balanced mixed bush with some low areas. The property is located SE of Emo along Hwy 602 with 9,240 feet of river frontage.
- The 1,247 acre Carr property was also purchased in 2007 for $440,000. It includes1,000 acres of leased pasture and the balance is comprised of low areas with some mixed bush. This property is north of Manitou Rapids and has 2.5 miles of frontage along Hwy 71.
Total Acreage Purchased: 3,171 acres
Total Cost of Purchases: $1,375,500
Average Cost per Acre: $433.77